Notarized travel authorization letter – Consent letter for children travelling abroad notary montreal Notarized-travel-authorization-letter-–-Consent-letter-for-children-travelling-abroad-.jpg


Travel authorization, consent letter, parental consent, permission letter for children to travel in Montreal, Laval the North Shore and Longueuil South ShoreDoes your child have to travel abroad accompanied by only one of his/her parents (who both have legal custody), or even accompanied by a friend or a family member?

Customs and immigration officials in search of missing children may ask you questions about the child who is travelling with you. This is the reason why it is very important to have all the necessary identification for both yourself and the children who accompany you.

Notarized travel authorization letter – Consent letter for children travelling abroad. Having a consent letter is not a statutory requirement in Canada, but it can simplify travelling of Canadian children because such a letter may be required by immigration authorities at the time of immigration, entering or leaving a foreign country or by representatives of Canada at the moment of returning. This letter proves that Canadian children have permission to travel abroad from their parents or guardians who do not accompany them.

You should be aware of the fact that if you are travelling alone with your underage children, you will need to have a letter of parental authorization (also known as a travel authorization letter for a child or a consent letter for children travelling abroad or a travel affidavit) authorizing you to proceed.

This document can be drafted by your notary, signed and sworn before him since it verifies the identity of the parent who is giving the authorization. It is essential that you keep this document with you throughout the whole stay.

The competent authorities may ask you for this document when you’re leaving the country, depending on the laws in force in the host country. An effective date of entrance and an end date will appear on the letter of authorization.

Who needs a travel authorization?

A parent who wishes to travel or stay outside Canada with his children without the presence of the other parent must obtain the latter’s written permission to do so.

A friend or a relative other than a parent who wishes to travel or stay outside Canada with children without the presence of the children’s legal guardian must also obtain written authorization from the children’s legal guardians for that purpose and shall keep it with himself/herself during the whole journey.

Information in the travel authorization letter

This document should contain the following information:

  • The name and address of the parent(s) who is not travelling
  • The name of the person who is accompanying (travelling) the child, his/her address and passport number and the relationship with the child
  • The name of the child who will be part of the trip and also the date of birth, age and passport number
  • The destination
  • The day of the departure from Canada and the day of the return to Canada
  • The place where the child is going to stay (the name of the hotel of other place) and the name of the city where it is located

What if the other parent refuses to sign the travel authorization?

If such a thing happens, the parent who wants to travel with the child alone will have to apply urgently to the Superior Court in order to obtain a judgment allowing him to travel without the other parent’s consent. The Court may grant on not the travel authorization after hearing the grounds for refusal, all in the light of the best interests of the children concerned.

To learn more about the travel authorization letter:

I invite you to consult the following link:

Government of Canada:

Notarized travel authorization letter – Consent letter for children travelling abroad – Contact Me Leopold Lincà NOTARY

Contact us now!