Marriage Abroad – Rules for getting married abroad

Our ‘Imperial’ Wedding Celebration Room Montreal – For MORE PHOTOS


Rules for getting married abroad. Getting married overseas. Certificate of non-impediment to marriage. Statutory declaration of marital Status. Civil marriage and marriage celebrant.

Do you live in Montreal, Laval or in Longueuil but you want to unite with your soul mate in an exotic place, to live an unforgettable moment during the civil celebration of your civil marriage and to be accompanied during your civil wedding by a notary marriage celebrant, who is a real professional? The day of your civil marriage is an event you wish to live in a fully and serenely way, according to your dreams. Well, if you are dreaming of getting married abroad, in a remote place or with someone who is not Canadian, you have to be aware of the possibilities to do so while also respecting the Canadian laws.

We can notarize for you all the copies of official documents and identification (birth certificate, driver’s licence, passport, divorce certificate, death certificate, and so on) required for a wedding celebration abroad or for a marriage ceremony in Canada. Marriage Abroad.

Your savviest interlocutor in this particular case is your notary who, by the way, can also have the role of a wedding celebrant.

Before deciding where to get married, consider visiting your Montreal notary who will inform you of the formalities that need to be followed in order for your marriage to be recognized in Canada.

First of all, you should know that no matter where you marry, you should always respect the legal requirements for a marriage in Canada in terms of:

  • Age – both persons must be at least 16 years of age and knowing that until 18 years of age they will require the consent of their parents or their guardians
  • Eligibility – none of the future spouses must be married to another person at the time of the marriage
  • Family bonds – the two future spouses must not be part of the same family (brother and sister, parent and child, grandparent and grandchildren, neither by blood nor by adoption)
  • Consent – both future spouses must be able to give their free and informed consent to marriage (which is not possible in the case of certain diseases that make people unfit).

If in the country you choose as the place of your marriage there is a law which respects the same conditions, your marriage will be recognized in Canada. Do not hesitate to contact your Montreal notary in order to learn about the laws of different countries and the formalities you will have to fulfill because in some countries there are additional formalities that the future spouses will have to respect. For instance, in some countries, it is impossible to celebrate a marriage between people of the same sex; in other countries, notaries have no authority in the case of a marriage, in others you will have to present additional documents, and so on.

You should also check with the embassy or with the consulate of the country you are considering as the place of your marriage.

In order for your marriage to be recognized in Montreal, when you return, you should register with the Registrar of Civil Status, with your legal counsel who will explain the whole process. With your marriage certificate, you have the same rights and obligations as all other couples who marry in Montreal.

If you prefer to get married in Montreal, but your future spouse has another nationality, you will not have to worry because the formalities are the same. Your partner, on the other hand, will not become a Canadian citizen, but you will be able to help them become a permanent resident and over time, after meeting certain conditions, to become a Canadian citizen.

Marriage Abroad. Me Leopold Lincà NOTAIRY

For beautiful photos contact Larisa Professional Photographer in Greater Montreal, specialized in wedding photography


Contact us now!